Some like it clean and some enjoy it mixed, but we all love the good old tequila. Originating from the agave plant, this liquor is one of the most consumed drinks today. While some people like drinking it as shots or clean, some of them prefer the tastes of its cocktails. And, that no wonder since all of its cocktails have a great exotic taste. Although they are all great, some of them are even better, so let’s have a look at the best tequila cocktails.
Copyright: Unsplash / author: kellysikkema / I License: CC0 Public Domain
Margarita is one of the most common cocktails around the globe. You can find it in many different versions, with fruits like apples, strawberries, and pineapples, and flavours such as hot sauce, cucumber, and mint. Although they are all good, there’s no better than the original margarita. In order to prepare it, you need:
- 2 oz. silver tequila
- 1 oz. Cointreau
- 1 oz. lime juice
- coarse salt
- Cool a glass.
- Moisten its rim with lime juice.
- Dip it into the salt.
- Put tequila, Cointreau, lime juice, and ice in a shaker and shake it well.
- Pour it into the glass over ice.
Here is another very common tequila cocktail. With its chilling summer notes, this cocktail reminds us of the hot summer days spent on the beach by the sea. So, whenever you feel nostalgic, you can order a tequila sunrise to bring you back to that time.
What makes this cocktail special is its look, which inspired the creation of many other cocktails throughout the years, as well as the grenadine. This ingredient not only brings the sunshine but also adds a fruity flavour in your glass. In order to prepare it, you need:
- 1 1/2 oz. tequila
- 3 oz. orange juice (fresh)
- 1 tsp. grenadine
- Put tequila, orange juice, and ice into a shaker and shake well.
- Pour the mixture into a glass.
- Add grenadine and gently stir until you get layers of orange and red.
- Decorate it with a maraschino cherry and umbrella.
Although it’s not as famous as its relatives, the Paloma is no less magnificent. With its fantastic, refreshing taste, it’s the best choice for a dinner out or a lazy afternoon. We love this cocktail because it’s really easy to make and you need only 3 ingredients:
- 2 oz. tequila (choose tequila blanco because of its clean and bold flavour)
- grapefruit soda
- 1/2 oz. lime juice
- a pinch of salt
- Rub the rim of a tall glass with salt and lime.
- Mix tequila, lime juice, and salt in the glass.
- Add ice and grapefruit soda, and mix.
Copyright: Unsplash / author: jbollweg / I License: CC0 Public Domain
Bloody Mary with Tequila
Here is another cocktail from the hall of fame. Although originally made with vodka, the Bloody Mary can also be made with tequila. In that way, you still have the great savoury taste of tomato juice and the other spices while adding the captivating agave flavour.
Unlike the other cocktails on the list, this one needs more than 3 or 4 ingredients. In fact, the extra ingredients are spices and sauces. So, all you need for a mouth-filling Bloody Mary is:
- 2 oz. tequila
- 1 pinch of lime juice
- 1 tsp horseradish
- 3 pinches of pepper
- 3 pinches of Tabasco sauce
- 3 pinches of Worcestershire sauce
- 3 pinches of celery salt
- 6 oz. Tomato juice to fill the glass.
- 1 tsp dijon mustard (optional)
- Garnish: celery stalk/lemon and/or lime wedge/cucumber and/or cocktail shrimp
- Put all ingredients in a tall glass over ice cubes.
- Add tomato juice.
- Mix it well.
- Garnish with one of the ingredients given above.
The last cocktail on the list is the old-school Negroni. It might not be as common as the previous cocktails, but it’s equally fascinating. When choosing the tequila, you can choose either a clean tequila or mescal. In this case, mescal would work the best because it balances the bitterness from the Campari, thus allowing the orange and grapefruit notes to see the light. In order to prepare this cocktail, you need gin, Campari, and vermouth. The secret to making the perfect negroni is to use an equal dose of each ingredient.
- Pour all liquors into a mixing glass or similar and add ice.
- Stir well until the glass becomes cold.
- Pour the mixture in a tall glass, add ice, and garnish with an orange slice.
Apart from these cocktails, there are many others, including Pina del Oro, Diablo Rojo, Tequila Manhattan, and Chiliano Special. However, these 5 are considered as best of the best and most consumed tequila cocktails. As you can notice, all of them are very easy to make since all you need to do is shake or stir. That’s what makes them a great choice for any occasion.