For those learning how to bake a cake, you all know that the frosting plays a key role in how tasty your cake is and how it looks. You absolutely can do it on your own, but it is a challenging task to get delicious frosting while you have to spend lots of time on it.
Alternatively, it is much more convenient and time-saving to buy the ready-made frosting rather than making it on your own. However, the bought frosting sometimes can’t bring you the desired taste and flavor, and of course, it doesn’t taste home-made.
Don’t worry; you absolutely may learn how to make the store bought frosting better within some steps with simple ingredients and equipment. If you hope to get the frosting of your preference, don’t skip any part of the article since you will be provided with a comprehensive guide on what you need to prepare to get the job done and how you do it.
What You Need To Prepare
Before kicking off doing your frosting, you have to prepare some essential ingredients and equipment.
Obviously, the first thing you need to do the tutorial is ready-made frosting. You can easily buy some ready-made frosting at any supermarket or grocery store. Choose any of your preference. There are different flavors, but the most popular are vanilla, chocolate or fruit.
- Jam, Flavor Extract Or Cream Cheese
If you want to get a specific flavor for your frosting, the easiest way is to add in some jams or flavor extract based on your preferences. Coconut milk extract, vanilla extract, strawberry and orange jam are great ideas for adding flavor to the frosting. But remember to choose organic jam and natural extract to get the best taste and flavor.
It will be great to mix frosting with other ingredients like extracts, jam or sugar with a hand mixer or the stand mixer because the precise repeated speed of the machine brings you the best texture and taste of the mixed frosting.
However, if you don’t have the equipment in your house and don’t want to spend money on them, you may use the spatula instead.
For the spatula, we have silicon spatula and a wooden spatula. But I highly recommend the wooden one since it doesn’t melt when meeting heat. Also, it takes your more time, attention and skills to get desired texture and taste with the spatula but keeps going; you can do it.
You need to prepare some large bowls in which you mix your ingredients. Also, get some measuring spoons to get precise of ingredients you need.
How To Make Store Bought Frosting Better
I’m sure you are so eager to know how to make store bought frosting better. Now comes the time. Let’s get started. To get a better frosting, you need to go through 3 steps which only take you a few minutes to get done.
- Put the frosting into a large bowl (if you do with a hand mixer or spatula) or into the bowl of the stand mixer.
- Add in other ingredients like cream cheese, extracts or jams. It depends on you what you will add. For example, if you like strong cream flavor, add in some cream cheese. Meanwhile, if you prefer fruit flavor, extracts and jams are great ideas. Remember to use the measuring spoons to get the appropriate amount.
- Mix all the ingredients. If you use the stand mixer, you just need to turn on the machine and leave it mixing for about 30 seconds. For those using the hand mixer or spatula, keep mixing it with the machine or your hand until the frosting gets thick.
Tips On Enhancing Your Frosting
Sometimes the texture of bought frosting doesn’t go right with your cake. Fortunately, there are some tips you may try to fix your frosting.
In case the frosting is too thick, add some more water. You just need to add some water or milk to the frosting and mix them together (milk is recommended rather than water because of the creamier flavor). On the other hand, adding in some powdered sugar does help to thicken your frosting if it is too soft.
You may prefer to add some color to the frosting. It’s great but try to take food color made of natural ingredients like vegetables or fruits so that you can reduce a number of chemicals added to your food.
So far, you have learned how to make store-bought frosting better. As I said, it is so simple and easy and just takes you some minutes. Keep in mind these important things:
- In case you want to get some flavor, you should add some extract, jams or cream cheese into your frosting.
- To change thicken or thin frosting texture, you need some powdered sugar or water/ milk (milk is more preferable).
- You may add some color but try to use color made of natural ingredients for the sake of your health.
The guide is really helpful when you can’t make the frosting on your own, and the bought frosting doesn’t come with your desired texture, flavor and color. If you are dealing with the problems, try these tips, I’m sure you may get shocked with the result.