Are you trying to start a vegan diet? Deciding to change your eating habits to go vegan can be hard when you’re new to this world. Our society is very used to consuming animal derived products, and so thinking how to replace ingredients and trying to adjust to new flavors might be complicated and even a bit stressful in the beginning, but don’t worry! We’re here to help you.
People who have cut off meat and dairy from their plates can attest that rice is a great ingredient because it’s a cereal and doesn’t contain any type of animal derived. Rice is also perfect for people who have gluten allergies, since it’s completely safe and filling. As a matter of fact, most alternatives to regular animal products are actually plant-based, so choosing to have rice in your meals is always a good idea.
A Great Recipe For Starters
And what better recipe to take advantage of this noble grain than rice pudding? To begin with, this is a very nutritious dish. Replace your regular milk with coconut milk and you’ll have the perfect breakfast to take you through a hectic morning.
Prepare a version with some aromatic Jasmine Rice White | Mahatma® Rice and one or two extra ingredients and you’ll have a lighter version to enjoy for dessert after a heavy lunch.
Rice pudding is also great if you like meal prepping: you can cook a big batch of rice and divide it for different savory and sweet preparations. When your rice pudding is done, it will last for an entire week in your fridge before it loses freshness.
Create Your Own Staple
This recipe is especially good for people who have a sweet tooth, because you can throw in almost literally anything and discover new favorites each time. Don’t you love some cinnamon on your coffee in winter? You can have it in your rice pudding, too! Are you a fan of raisins? Add some to your rice pudding and be ready to enjoy! You can add as many things as you like and experiment with different flavor combinations.
As a plus, you can have your rice pudding both warm and chill, so you can adapt your recipe and include ingredients according to the season. Canned or fresh fruits are great for this purpose: berries in winter and peaches or mangos in the summer, everything is delicious!
We promise you that becoming vegan will be super easy with this recipe. Once you try this plant based option, you won’t have it any other way!
- 1 cup of white rice.
- 2 cups of canned coconut milk.
- ½ cup of brown sugar.
- 1 tbsp. of vanilla extract.
- ground cinnamon or cinnamon sticks to taste.
- toasted coconut to taste.
- fresh or canned peaches
- chopped nuts to taste.
- In a saucepan, add your coconut milk, brown sugar and cinnamon and set it to medium heat. Stir to make the ingredients dissolve and add the vanilla extract.
- When you see the milk is reaching boiling point, add the rice. Wait a few minutes, cover with the lid and reduce heat to minimum. Don’t forget to whisk every now and then so that the rice doesn’t stick to the bottom of the saucepan. You will see how the rice starts absorbing the milk and the mix gets thicker.
- When you see there’s no more milk left, that’s a good sign that your rice is ready. If you try it and the rice needs more time, add some more milk for it to absorb. If, on the contrary, you feel there’s too much milk in it, you can balance the mix with some extra rice.
- If you have happened to use cinnamon sticks, this is when you’ll want to include them.
- Turn the heat off and let your rice cool down for a while.
- Serve in small portions and add the toppings. We recommend to start with some toasted coconut to give some extra power to the coconut milk, then place some sliced peaches to add a fresh sensation, and finally, top it all off with a handful of chopped nuts to complete it with a crunchy texture.