These pastry recipes will turn heads at your next bruncheon or be the perfect sweet treat to come home to after a long day.
Whether you are an expert or a novice, learning how to cook can be a rewarding experience and develop into a lifelong positive hobby.
- Gotham Steel Pan Reviews
- Best Toaster Ovens Under $100
- Best Lump Charcoal Guide
- Best Fillet Knife For Fish
A light and flaky blueberry turnover is the perfect sweet treat for both breakfast and dessert. This recipe features a delicate and delicious puff pastry, as well as a homemade blueberry filling.
If you are not a fan of blueberries, then you can easily substitute any fruit in place of the blueberries and make this recipe your own.
- Filling. In order to make the homemade blueberry filling, you will need to combine the blueberries, sugar, lemon juice and cornstarch. Utilize a small saucepan to bring this mixture to a boil. Keep the mixture over medium heat and continue to stir constantly. Not stirring could lead to the mixture burning. This mixture will only need to cook for around 1 to 2 minutes until it thickens. Take the thickened filling off the heat and let it cool.
- Puff Pastry. To make the puff pastry, unroll sheets of the puff pastry. Make sure the surface has been properly floured. You can use a pizza cutter or a sharp knife to create equal-sized squares. Spoon around a tablespoon size of blueberry filling into the center. Fold the corners to make the square into a triangle.
Place these triangles onto the baking sheet and brush with egg wash. Bake for 15 to 20 minutes at 400 degrees or until the turnovers have turned golden brown.
For a sweet and simple easy snack, lemon knots are the answer.
- Puff Pastry. Unfold the pastry and roll it out into a rectangle shape. Cut out strips using a sharp knife or pizza cutter. Cut the pastry so you will get 12 strips. Fold these strips in half, one by one. Make a knot. Place these knots on a baking sheet and brush on an egg wash. Bake for 10 to 12 minutes at 400 degrees or until golden brown.
- Topping. While the pastry is baking, whisk together powdered sugar with lemon juice. When the knots have cooled, brush on this mixture.
Raspberry Cream Puffs
This classic French dessert has a sweet cream and features light Choux pastry dough.
- Choux Pastry. Preheat the oven to 425 degrees. You will want to put parchment paper down on a baking sheet. Combine ½ cup of water, 8 Tbsp butter, 1 tsp of sugar, and ¼ tsp of salt. Bring these ingredients to a boil. Once the mixture begins to boil, take it off the heat and stir in 1 cup of flour. After the flour has been mixed in, place the mixture back over the heat for only a few minutes.
- Transfer the dough to a mixing bowl. Beat in 4 eggs, making sure to only do one at a time. Then, transfer the dough to a piping bag. You will be able to pipe around 28 puffs. Bake the puffs for around 22 minutes or until golden brown.
- Filling. Mix together 2 cups of heavy cream, 4 Tbsp of sugar, and 1 tsp of vanilla extract. Beat this until a fluffy mixture forms. Transfer the mixture to a piping bag. When the puffs have completely cooled, fill them with the mixture. Push a raspberry into the center and dust with powdered sugar.
Croissants are a classic, but making them homemade can be a challenge. However, the results are worth the effort.
- Croissant. Mix together 2 cups of flour, 2 tsp of yeast, 1 tsp of salt, and 6 Tbsp or cane sugar. Thinly slice 1 and ½ sticks of butter. You will want to make sure the butter is cold. Add ⅝ cup of whole milk. Roll this together and refrigerate for one hour.
- Roll, fold and shape the dough into a square. Do this action repeatedly, stopping once to let the dough rest. Then, refrigerate for half an hour. Brush with egg wash and bake for 20 minutes at 375 degrees.
- Topping. Drizzle honey over the croissants and sprinkle almonds over top. Continue baking for another 5 minutes.
Lemon Curd Danish
This delicate and tart dish is sure to satisfy your sweet tooth.
- Pastry. Preheat the oven to 400 degrees. Unfold the pastry sheet and cut into 12 strips. Twist the dough and form a spiral. Brush with melted butter.
- Filling. Place one teaspoon of lemon curd into the center of the spiral that each pastry has formed. In a pinch, you can use store-bought lemon curd. Bake the pastry for 18 minutes or until golden brown. Let them cool and drizzle with powdered sugar.
While cooking is exciting, it can also be challenging. The Culinary Lab School provides its students with expert instruction to help them learn how to cook like a professional. Their professional pastry courses will provide you with everything you need to ace a homemade delicious pastry.